At least 56 Nigerians perished in Thursday’s stampede in Saudi Arabia, in which over 717 pilgrims from around the world, died.
In a press conference with reporters on Sunday, the chairman of the National Hajj Commission, Abdullahi Mukhtar, has confirmed that a total of 56 Nigerian pilgrims – 42 from nine states, two from the commission and 12 persons who worked for tour operators, were killed, while 61 sustained different degrees of injuries in the stampede that occurred on Thursday in Mina, Saudi Arabia in which over 717 pilgrims from around the world died.
He said the dead are from Bauchi, Borno, Cross Rivers, Jigawa, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, and Nasarawa states. While others are from Niger, Ogun, Ondo, Sokoto, Taraba, Yobe and Zamfara states.
He however said some pilgrims were missing, meaning the numbers could rise. He did not give the number of those unaccounted for. He said two committees had been set up by the commission and the hajj leadership to take care of burial arrangements.
Another committee to be headed by the Comptroller General of Nigeria Immigration will collect information from survivors and witnesses on causes of the stampeded, he said.

Like NGwide on facebook

Dont Be selfish, kindly share this post with your friends..! click on the share bottons below to share.

Follow NGwide On twitter

By admin

Leave a Reply